Category Archives: Uncategorized

Worthing Indoor Bowls Club support a teenager battling cancer.

Worthing Indoor Bowls Club support a teenager battling cancer.

A charity bowls drive was organised by the ladies section at Worthing Indoor Bowls Club to support a teenager battling cancer.

The competition, which was followed by a cream tea, was held at the club in The Boulevard to raise money for Keep Connor Active.

Connor Cruise, from East Preston, had his right leg amputated above the knee in January.

His grandparents, Angela and Tony Grant, are members of the bowls club, and when ladies secretary Wendy Davies proposed a charity event to help raise funds towards a prosthetic leg for Connor, the club agreed without hesitation.

Angela and Tony said: “The day was a resounding success with more than 50 bowlers taking part and many more attending to watch and support.

“Although the club agreed to waive the green fees for the occasion, members were nevertheless charged an entry fee, which provided an early boost to the fundraising effort.

“A further contribution by the club’s restaurant manager also added to the amount raised.”

A raffle was organised to add to the fund and all prizes were donated by members, local businesses and friends. This boosted the final total raised to just over £1,500.

Wendy, who organised the bowls drive, was overwhelmed at the level of support she received from all members of the club and said it was ‘an absolutely wonderful result’.

Although Connor was not able to attend on the day of the bowls drive, as he was undergoing chemotherapy treatment at Southampton Hospital, he did manage to make an appearance at the club on Sunday to thank Wendy and the members for their support. He promised to visit the Club again in the future when he is ‘up and running’.

Connor is a year-ten student at The Angmering School.

He had his lower right leg amputated as part of his treatment, to remove the bone affected by osteo saroma.

Connor is keen to keep as active as possible and the Keep Connor Active appeal was set up to provide him with a state-of-the-art prosthetic leg and anything else he needs to keep him active. Find it on Facebook for more information.

Article Source: The Worthing Herald.

Jersey to host 2017 European Team Bowls Championship

Jersey to host 2017 European Team Bowls Championship

Jersey is to host the 2017 European Bowls Team Championship.

It will be the third time the island has staged the event, having previously done so in 1999 and 2001.

Les Creux Bowls Club in St Brelade will again be the venue for the competition, which takes place from 23-29 September, as it was 15 years ago.

“This is a showcase event that bowls in Jersey really does need to give us some profile,” said Bowls Jersey president Greg Davis.

Derek Boswell and Cyril Renouf won a silver medal for Jersey in the men’s pairs at the 2015 Championship in Israel.

Jersey’s last gold came in 2011 when Katie Nixon and Joan Renouf won the women’s pairs in Portugal, while Cyril Renouf took men’s singles gold in Cyprus two years earlier.

There could be as many as 16 nations competing at Les Creux next year.

“They call it the friendly games as it encourages some of the developing nations to come along as well,” added Davis.

“You end up with the likes of Germany and Switzerland, countries that have only recently started playing bowls and are getting help with the equipment and facilities to build their greens.”

Article Source:  www.bbc.co.uk

Alex Marshall launches Scottish Try Bowls campaign

Alex Marshall launches Scottish Try Bowls campaign

Commonwealth Games Gold Medallist Alex ‘Tattie’ Marshall MBE joined STV The Late Show presenter Ewen Cameron in launching Bowls Scotland’s 2016 Try Bowls campaign yesterday.

Incorporating the fun Trickshot challenge competition which will be used thereafter by clubs to raise funds for the STV Children’s Appeal, Ewen took part with world class player Alex Marshall showing him the ropes.

The official Try Bowls campaign starts on the weekend of April 29 with bowls clubs across Scotland running various events in order to raise awareness of the sport as well as encourage individuals of all ages and abilities to participate in trying bowls.
Some children from local Glasgow Bowling Clubs will also be in attendance on the day to give the Trickshot Challenge a go.

The launch of the 2016 Try Bowls campaign comes off the back of previous successful campaigns to promote the sport in local communities where it has played an integral role for many years. This supports Bowls Scotland’s vision of bowls becoming Scotland’s local sport of choice: successful, modern and accessible to all.
Speaking about the Try Bowls campaign, Alex said: “I am excited to help launch the 2016 Try Bowls campaign and really enjoyed having a go at the ‘Trickshot Challenge.’ It is harder than it looks but I think it is a fun and innovative way to encourage people to try bowls.

“The campaign is really important in not only raising awareness of the sport in local communities but also in changing perceptions and encouraging more people to give it a try.

“Lawn bowls really is a sport for everyone and is one of few sports that people of any age can take part in, whether it be socially or on a competitive level, it is both easy and inexpensive for you to go to your local bowling green with friends, family or even work colleagues and try something new.

“It is great that we can raise money for the STV Children’s Appeal with the ‘Trickshot Challenge’ as this will raise vital money for children in the local communities of Scotland where we want our sport to be the local sport of choice for everyone.”
More than 230 bowls clubs have signed up to the campaign.

Bowls Scotland Development Manager, Colin Hutchinson said: “The launch of the 2016 Try Bowls campaign comes off the back of previous successful campaigns to promote the sport in local communities where it has played an integral role for many years.
With over 230 clubs across Scotland having committed to the campaign, it is clear to see that clubs are looking to welcome new members with open arms and raising money for the STV Children’s Appeal is also something we are all proud to be part of.”

Elizabeth Partyka from the STV Children’s Appeal said: “We are very grateful to Bowls Scotland for supporting STV Children’s Appeal with donations from the Trickshot Challenge. I hope people across Scotland take this fantastic opportunity to try out bowls at their local club and, of course, have a shot at the challenge. Every donation, big or small, will help make a difference in the lives of children and young people affected by poverty in Scotland.”

All clubs who have signed up to take part in the Try Bowls campaign have been tasked with incorporating the Trickshot Challenge into their events in order to raise funds for the STV Children’s Appeal which raises funds and provides support to children in Scotland who need it most.

Article Source: www.bowlsinternational.com

Four young bowlers banned from representing Wales for three years

Four young bowlers banned from representing Wales for three years

Four bowlers have been banned from representing Wales for three years after allegedly breaking a curfew at last week’s junior international series.

Current fours champions Liam Bouse and Tom Jones, recent champion of champions winner Daniel Salmon and Shane Hill were handed the ban today after breaking the Welsh Indoor Bowling Association’s code of conduct when the series was staged in Bristol.
The players now have seven days to lodge appeals against the decision. One is already understood to have submitted his.
If the ban is not overturned, repercussions mean Bouse and Jones, of Islwyn IBC, will not be representing Wales in the British Isles championships in Llanelli next month, while Salmon, of Cardiff IBC, one of the six skips for the senior international series, will not be playing for the team, nor will he be travelling to Jersey for the senior WIBC championships in April which he had qualified for after winning the champion of champions event.
The ban follows an incident believed to relate to the breaking a curfew imposed by the team manager, Nigel Williams, last Saturday, following Wales’ opening two games against England and Scotland.
The four did not play in the wooden spoon encounter against Ireland the following morning when Wales were forced to play two triples and two fours, a move sanctioned by the BIIBC who are understood to have ruled that whatever the result, Ireland would be awarded the two points thus leaving Wales bottom of the table.
A statement issued by the WIBA following the disciplinary sub committee hearing confirmed the four were banned from ‘representing Wales at all level of competition for a period of three years, 18 months with immediate effect and 18 months suspended.’
It is thought that after Wales lost to Scotland and Ireland on Saturday, the four ignored instruction from team officials, and spent the evening in Bristol city centre, and did not return to the hotel until after the 10.30pm deadline.
BIIBC secretary David Phillips said last weekend: “The BIIBC understands that an incident involving Welsh players led to the Wales team management informing me that Wales could field only 14 players against Ireland.
“A meeting of the BIIBC officers from the other three countries decided that Wales could field a team consisting of two fours and two triples – but that, whatever the outcome, Ireland would be deemed to be the winners, and would take two points.”

Article Source: www.bowlsinternational.com